Q: Honda Civic with screaming timing belt when cold and wet

asked by on April 11, 2016

My wife has a 2001 Honda Civic. The timing belt screams every time it's cold and slightly wet outside. What should we do?

You probably need a fan belt. Timing belt is inside the timing cover and it has cogs on it and it can’t squeal because it’s got cogs and it can’t slip.

If it groans, it means that the timing belt is too tight, but if you are getting the actual screaming, that’s a fan belt. Replace the fan belts and make sure that they aren’t tight. If it’s got automatic tension around it, make sure there’s no tension. But normally, it’s just worn out belts, so I recommend putting new belts on it. Buy quality belts, don’t buy cheap ones. The quality ones are quieter and last longer. If you want to have this issue verified by a technician in person, consider YourMechanic. They will be able to come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s noise and replace your timing belt if needed.