Q: Random steering wheel shake.

I was driving on the interstate at 80 MPh. I hit a patch where the road had a series of small bumps. After going over it my steering wheel began to shake violently. I felt I was unable to safely keep the truck on the road so I pulled over. My initial thought was a blown tire but all tires were intact so I checked to see if any lug nuts were loose. Next I looked under the front end for any suspension or steering components loose or broken but couldn't see anything obvious.

After I was unable to see anything wrong I decided to see if I would be able to limp to town but when I got in and drove it was fine so I drove home about 150 miles with no problems and a perfectly smooth ride. Is there any chance this could have been something small like a thrown wheel weight?

Hi there. In most cases, when you experience a severe shake and vibration all of the sudden it’s actually caused by road conditions. If the shake and vibration went away and has not returned while driving the same speed, you should be okay. However, if the front end starts to vibrate at speeds higher than 55, take your Ram to a tire center and have the front tires / wheel rebalanced. If the vibration issues don’t go away, contact a professional mechanic to have an inspection of the vibration concern.

3. Random steering wheel shake.