Q: Metal-rubbing noise from back-left tire area

My car is having a strange noise from the rear. It is like a metal-rubbing sound. There is no screech and no grinding; just a metal-rubbing sound. I have been told that it might be the ball joint. The sound is coming primarily from the back-left tire area. What is your diagnosis and what should I do in order to get this problem fixed? Thank you.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Saturn LS. The ball joint and the lower control arm work together in connection with the alignment of your car. When either of these two components are not working correctly or become worn out, this can cause the noise that you are experiencing in addition to the abnormal tire wear. If you need help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the noise and let you know what fixes will help.