Q: High-pitched chirping noise and rattle from front of 2008 Saturn Astra

I started hearing a high-pitched chirping sound (coming from the front of my car) when I would press on the gas pedal to accelerate. This only happens when the air conditioner is on. It has that sound like a belt might be loose. The tech reported that was caused by the engine not being strong enough to handle the air conditioner, along with everything else, all at the same time. I was told to monitor the noise, which is still persisting. Along with the high-pitched chirping noise, there is a deep rattle which is also coming from the front of my car. Can you tell me what is causing this so I will know how to get it fixed?

Hey thanks for writing in about your 2008 Saturn Astra. It is unlikely the problem is cause by the engine "not being strong enough" to power the accessories. If the noise changes while turning the air conditioning on and off, the problem can be in the belt drive system or the air conditioning compressor. I recommend getting a second on this by another professional. A technician from YourMechanic can inspect the car noise in person and let you know what repairs are needed.

• High-pitched chirping noise and rattle from front of 2008 Saturn Astra