Q: High idle, deiseling(sometimes) jumping in gears and choke light stays on.

I picked up my 85 chevy g20 van from having the transmission rebuilt 2 days ago and from the moment i picked it up it has been idling high, jumping into gears, deiseling (not all of the time just sometimes) and the choke light stays on. It did not have these problems before. Also there is a wire at one of the connectors on the carb that is badly frayed (i will include a pic in the comments). The engine is a 305 v8 5L and has a 4bbl quadrajet carb. I am stumped, any ideas on the cause?

Hello. If all of these issues appeared after you took the vehicle into a shop then I would return to that shop and have them address the problems. It may be possible that the issues developed as a result of the work that they did. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing a variety of symptoms, which can be caused by a wide variety of issues ranging from problems with the carburetor or fuel system, to issues with an engine sensor. If the choke light is staying on then that could be a sign that the choke mechanism is having an issue, perhaps due to a problem with the carburetor. If there is a frayed wire it could be possible that the issues you are experiencing could be related to an electrical fault it is causing. I would recommend checking with the shop to see how they may be able to help you, or have a professional technician look at the vehicle.

3. High idle, deiseling(sometimes) jumping in gears and choke light stays on.