Q: Oil pressure light is on

asked by on August 02, 2017

Hey so driving to work yesterday when I stopped at a red light my oil pressure bottomed out then when I took off it went back up I checked the oil it was a quart low so I added oil and it drove fine going home this morning we get a mile down the rd and the oil pressure bottomed out while slowing to turn and didn't come back up pulled over turned off checked the oil and it's fine I did notice yesterday a leak coming from behind the oil filter where the pressure switch is could my switch be bad? There's kinda a burning oil smell also

The oil pressure light will usually come on when a few things could be happening. Either the motor is in fact low on oil, the oil pump could be failing or not pumping oil sufficiently or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. If the engine is in fact low on oil, you may notice the temperature gauge reading above normal temperatures as a result of the lack of sufficient oil in the motor. I would recommend checking the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.