Q: Q: Map sensor

Car running fine as of yesterday. When coming to stop, apply the brake after a few seconds car started shaking, when light changed and continue to move in traffic car engine died. Started back fine and as long as I continue to move in traffic no problem until I applied the brake. Again car started trembling. I put the car in park, when I shift to drive the car engine turned off. Started the car again and as long as I keep moving the car was fine, until I had to apply the brake the same situation happen.

Can you please shed some light, I am freaking out, no other way to get to work.

Thanks a million

Hi There, This may be a sign of a faulty MAP sensor as the vehicle responds adversely to a load put on the motor (i.e. putting it in gear, turning on AC or engaging the brakes). The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor senses engine load and generates a signal that is proportional to the amount of vacuum in the intake manifold. The engine computer then uses this information to adjust ignition timing and fuel enrichment. When the engine is working hard, intake vacuum drops as the throttle opens wide. The engine takes in more air, which requires more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in balance. When the computer reads a heavy load signal from the MAP sensor, it adjusts the fuel mixture to slightly more rich than normal so the engine can produce more power. The computer will then retard (back off) ignition timing slightly to prevent detonation that can damage the engine and decrease performance. This may also be caused by other closely related components such as a dirty or failing mass air-flow sensor, a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a vacuum leak. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Q: Map sensor