Q: Hi, I have a Scion XA 2006. Last year I noticed a squeeking sound while starting the car. It went away the second I drove out of t

Squeeking upon starting the car and also sometimes while idling for a few seconds.

Hello. There are a couple of common causes of this noise on your vehicle. Most of the time this is caused by a failing belt tensioner, a bad water pump, or a failing alternator. All of these will cause this should they start to fail.

I usually remove the engine drive belt and check each of these pulleys by hand. I check them for any side to side or up and down movement. If they do more than just spin then they need to be replaced. If everything is fine then it may just be a worn out belt. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the sound firsthand for an accurate repair.

• Hi, I have a Scion XA 2006. Last year I noticed a squeeking sound while starting the car. It went away the second I drove out of t