Q: Hi i have a 2005 ford explorer. My truck doesnt move in drive and only moves in 1st gear and it doesn't reverse.

asked by on July 03, 2017

Hi i have a 2005 ford explorer. My truck doesnt move in drive and only moves in 1st gear and it doesn't reverse.

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.