Q: Hey I have just recently changed over a timing belt on my g-f's mazda bubble car engine is a b3 (1.3l) then it snapped on us.

okay so i was driving down the road in my girlfriends bubble and all off a suden the car stopped working. tried to crank it over on the side of the road and realized that the timing belt had snapped (lucky there was no clinking and clanking from bent valvs, have checked spark plugs and they arnt bent either, i tried doing the timing belt mysdelf and have lined up the timing marks correctly but am unsure if im on the exhaust stroke or intake stroke? have i missed something? car not showing any signs off life once the new belt was on (no bang in any off the cylinders)

Hi there. If the timing belt broke a short time later after replacing the timing belt, then check the water pump and the timing belt idler pulley. The water pump may be failing causing the gear on the water pump to bind up on the timing belt making the belt break. Also the idler pulley could be failing causing the belt to bind up and break.

When setting the timing, make sure that the crankshaft is aligned up with the camshafts, but make sure that the crankshaft is at top dead center with cylinder 1 and the valves are shut on cylinder 1 for compression. Then hook up the belt. You will need to install a camshaft lock to prevent the exhaust camshaft from turning one tooth out of adjustment. After the belt is on, you would need to remove the camshaft lock and then start the engine. If you need further assistance with setting the timing on your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Hey I have just recently changed over a timing belt on my g-f's mazda bubble car engine is a b3 (1.3l) then it snapped on us.