Q: Hello my name is TJ. I have an 05 Dodge Durango 5.7 L hemi. The other day when I accelerated my engine rpm jumped to 3000.

Hello my name is TJ. I have an 05 Dodge Durango 5.7 L hemi. The other day when I accelerated my engine sounded way louder than usual and my rpm ran up to about 3000 rpm before shifting. Anytime it gets to about 2000 rpm my engine gets really loud. I have checked all the fluids and nothing seemed unusual. No warning lights come on either. I have no clue what could be the cause of this. It started right after I filled my Durango up with gas after driving on the highway for about an hour and a half.

Hi there TJ. Sometimes when an engine get’s louder as you accelerate, it is due to an exhaust leak. This could be a small crack near the exhaust manifold or hole in the muffler. The high idle issue could be due to a vacuum leak, idle control valve that is damaged or malfunctioning throttle control. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an engine idle speed is high inspection, so they can determine what is causing this issue and recommend the right repairs.

3. Hello my name is TJ. I have an 05 Dodge Durango 5.7 L hemi. The other day when I accelerated my engine rpm jumped to 3000.