Q: Heater works when moving. Stops working when sitting at light. Makes a gurgling sound. What could be the problem?

Heater works when moving. Stops when sitting at light. Makes a gurgling sound when sitting at light. What could be the problem?

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The most important part of the heating system is the coolant. The first step to take is to make sure your coolant level is topped off in the radiator and the overflow tank. If the level is low, you need to find out why. At that point there is likely a leak in the system. Once you have the leak repaired, you can retest the heating system. With the coolant full and the system leak free, the next place to look would be air caught in the system. You will have to go through the purging process. A clog can also similar symptoms, and a cooling system flush may be beneficial. With the age of the vehicle, these are relatively common maintenance issues.

3. Heater works when moving. Stops working when sitting at light. Makes a gurgling sound. What could be the problem?