Q: Heater control system will not power up even though there is power to it

The whole thing started with a penny in a lighter and I'm not sure if this was just a coincidence or not but I lost all interior lights,alternator,Battery,rear wiper motor. mileage meter and temp outside control and my whole heater system including Heater Power Radio and Cd player. Had a bad power surge in interior lights which I just found fuse and unplugged but still nothing working on the rest replaced Alternator and Battery and also got a second hand Heater Control Unit from Junk yard with no success

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. When the penny was in the cigarette lighter, the penny act as a conductor and shorted out the circuit. The cigarette lighter is either powered all the time or powered when the ignition switch is on, but either way, the cigarette lighter is tied through the ignition switch. Check the fuse box for power to it and ground. If the fuse box has power and a ground, then the ignition switch burned from the short in the cigarette lighter. This would explain that phenomenon light issue and all of the electronics failing in your vehicle. Check all of the wiring to the ignition switch and the main power to the switch. If there is power to the switch but no power coming out of it when the key is in and turned to ACC or ON positions, then the switch needs replaced. If the switch is working fine, then the fuse box has a short in it and it needs replaced. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your massive electrical outage in your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you.

• Heater control system will not power up even though there is power to it