Q: Have to use high beams when driving.

Headlights do not come on and I have to use high beams when driving. The battery has to be changed yearly.

A: This sounds to me like a not so uncommon pr...

This sounds to me like a not so uncommon problem where both headlamps actually burn out at the same time. Usually the culprit for such a thing would be the headlight bulbs themselves, but before I recommend replacing parts that we are unsure of to be good or bad, I believe that it is best to get the help of a certified automotive technician. This certified mechanic will have the knowledge and tools to determine if your problem is as simple as changing a light bulb or if it could be something more involved, such as a fuse or electrical problem. You can get your headlights inspected by YourMechanic As for the concern with the Mazda’s battery, the mechanic will also be able to inspect the charging system to determine why your car is going through batteries so quickly. In general, batteries can last between 3-5 years, however it depends on the brand of the battery or it may be possible that a system or component is putting excess drain on the battery itself decreasing its reliability. There are a few things to factor in when dealing with bad headlights and bad batteries so it is always best to have a mechanic look this over.