Q: Hard to shift gears in traffic jam

asked by on December 17, 2017

I have a manual transmission car. When I'm stuck in traffic, it starts to get harder to shift gears until it becomes impossible, it is stuck in the gear I am(any gear or neutral). It seems to happen when I use the clutch a lot. First they changed the clutch, it did not help. Then the whole gearbox was changed, still not good. Then I got the clutch cable changed which solved it for 2 weeks, then it started again plus I have a new symptom: the engine shakes when idling. I'm desperate now, it seems noone knows whats wrong...

Clutch is not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The clutch and transmission on your vehicle are fairly straightforward systems. If virtually all of it has been replaced and yet it still doesn’t work, that is frankly a guarantee that the cause of the problem is faulty, inept, careless installation including the possibility that used parts were installed which then failed just like the ones replaced. A principal threshold issue is: were you given an understandable and credible diagnostic result? If the clutch was initially deemed faulty, exactly what was wrong with the clutch system? If there was never a diagnostic, and no explanation of WHY the work was done, essentially all that was done was just based on guesses. Although the mechanism on your car is not complicated at all (it really is incredibly simple), if the repair instructions (all of them; from the Factory Shop Manual) are not carefully and thoroughly adhered to, and if all parts are not installed with precision, you can have a result just like the one you are experiencing. If you want, we can take it from the top and DIAGNOSE the exact problem and then repair only that which is necessary and relevant to restoring proper function. If you desire that, please schedule an inspection via YourMechanic’s clutch/transmission diagnostic service page and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved without any further nonsense. As far as the rough running of the engine, there are obvious possibilities, ranging from uneven compression due to sticking valves, faulty spark plugs and clogged injectors, to somewhat less obvious issues like intake manifold leaks. The mechanic who resolves the clutch issue can deal with the engine issue as well and will likely use a real time scanner to see exactly what the present engine operating parameters are; the diagnostic proceeds from there. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr