Q: Had an oil Leak repaired. Then a tune up. Now there's a puddle leaking from my car. What happened?

asked by on November 04, 2016

Had an oil Leak repaired. Then a tune up. Now there's a puddle leaking from my car. What happened?

The 750 is a great car, but when it gets some age and miles it can become pretty high maintenance. There is no way I can tell you what is leaking from here at my desk, the car will have to be checked out. But there are several things you can do to help identify the problem. First, try to identify the fluid. If it is clear water, it is most likely condensation from the air conditioning and represents no problem at all. If the fluid is greenish and water-like it is probably engine coolant. There is another greenish fluid in the car that is thicker and feels like oil, that is the hydraulic fluid for the brake and steering booster. Engine oil will be thick, brown or black, and very slippery when you rub it between your fingers.

Transmission fluid starts out kind of yellow, but in an old car will have turned brown. It will be hard to distinguish from the engine oil except by the location of the leak. Brake fluid is clear and kind of greasy, if you see that, it will most likely be at one of the corners near a wheel. Get a large piece of cardboard or some other clean surface and park the car on it overnight, then inspect the surface in the morning so you can see what type of fluid and the location of it and share that information with the technician. Locate the paperwork for the repairs that were done, and find out specifically what was done to repair the leak. By knowing that and the location and type of leak, you can get some idea of weather there is any correlation to the work already done. Finally contact YourMechanic and they can send a technician to your home. Share your information with them and they can check the leak and advise you on what you can do about it.