Q: Grinding sound when put into drive

I can hear a grinding sound in the rear axle of my vehicle when I put it into drive. I don't hear the sound when I put the vehicle into reverse.

Hi, it is possible that the gear teeth are damaged on one side so that engaging drive they grind against each other as they come in contact with each other. When using reverse the other sides of the gear teeth are used which may not have damage and will operate normally. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to open up your rear differential and inspect the parts for damage and wear to determine the cause of your grinding noise.

3. Grinding sound when put into drive