Q: Check engine light is on

The car has gone 22,000 miles so far. The dashboard is showing the check engine light on. The Automatic feature of the car reads codes. The error code popped up indicating boost pressure sensor. What is this and do I need to replace it?

A: Yes, this needs to be checked out and the b...

Yes, this needs to be checked out and the boost pressure sensor replaced if it has failed. Your engine is turbo-charged, which means an air pump, driven by exhaust pressure, may force more air into your engine to achieve more power when you need it. The boost pressure sensor monitors how much additional air pressure is being given to the engine and reports this to engine management. Engine management limits how much pressure the engine gets to avoid engine damage from over-heating after extended high-pressure use as one case. A bad sensor could cause damage to the engine, or cause the engine to go into "Limp" mode, where power is severely limited. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose and address the Check Engine Light.