Q: Gear problems when changing from 3rd to 2nd end up in 4th and 1st ends up in 3rd.

I bought a used Suzuki Swift (1.5 Petrol) one month ago. I have noticed an issue with the gear that I can summarise like this: changing gear from 3rd to 2nd often lead to 4th, and putting 1st from neutral often lead to 3rd. Sometimes it happens I start the car with 3rd! The problem is intermittent, sometimes (80% of times it works perfectly). I have been driving for 12 years and I do not think it's only a matter of getting used to the new car. I understood it is a quite common problem for the Swift of those years, and it is resolvable by changing the selector (part no. 28100-63j03). Do you think it might be the case? Or maybe it'd be enough to add oil, etc?

Let me know if you need further details. Thank you for your help,

Michele

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Yes the selector is not working and needs replaced. The selector rod or spring could be damaged causing the shifter to be too wobbly or out of alignment making the shifter go into other gears. If you need further assistance with your shifter issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.