Gear oil leak. oil 1985 leaks v8-5.7l chevrolet k20

Q: Gear oil leak.

asked by on February 13, 2016

The pinion bearing and pinion oil seal are bad. It is leaking a considerable amount of gear oil out the front yoke and began making a heavy rubbing noise. It is also idling rough like running over rumble strips. I removed the 14-bolt cover plate on back of the rear differential and drained the remaining gear oil, which revealed no metal fragments.The ring and pinion gears showed no signs of damage (no chips or scarring on the teeth).

Hello. Pinion bearing seals can leak due to normal wear or as a result of excessive pinion bearing play. A growling sound can indicate a worn pinion bearing as well. If the noise changes during acceleration, the cause is most likely the pinion bearing. As for your rough idle concern, there are dozens of causes, especially since your vehicle uses the temperamental electronic-feedback carburetor. I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the oil leak and diagnose the idling issue your vehicle is encountering.