Q: Gas tank appears to be full when it's not and it is difficult to fill

I have a problem with filling the gas tank. When I try to put gas, it appears as if the gas tank is full. The nozzle on the pump closes. But the gas tank is not full. So, I have to put smaller amounts and it takes a lot longer than it normally would. It is backing up the pipe even when I put very small amounts. What should I do? Thanks.

Hello. This happens frequently on this vehicle. It is typically always caused by a bad evaporative system vent valve. This valve needs to allow the tank to vent when filling it with fuel. If it does not open, this will occur. I typically check the solenoid to see if it will open and close and check the hoses for blockage. If you are going to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

• Gas tank appears to be full when it's not and it is difficult to fill