Q: Gas cap notification and check engine light came on after getting gas. Car started to sputter and stall out.

Within minutes after getting gas, my car began to sputter and stall. The next day when I started my car , I got a gas cap notification on the dashboard. After that my check engine light came on. When I checked the gas cap I noticed it was not tightly secured which could have prompted the gas cap notification. I tightened the gas cap but I still have the notification on my dash and the check engine light is still on.

Hi there. When the fuel cap is not securely fastened to the tank, it can create vacuum issues inside the tank; which triggers the error code to be stored in the ECU. The error will then trigger the check engine light until that code is reset by a professional digital scanner. If you’re still having sputtering or stalling issues, you should contact a professional mechanic to complete an engine sputtering inspection. This will allow them to diagnose what’s causing this problem and reset any error codes to hopefully correct the issue your Chrysler 300 is experiencing.

• Gas cap notification and check engine light came on after getting gas. Car started to sputter and stall out.