Q: Fuse keeps blowing out for break lights , could I possibly have a short ? And is it worth replacing the brake light switch ?

Brake light fuse keeps blowin out. I touch it , feels really hot. I keep replacing fuse, and again same problem especially when I'm driving. It's been happening for a while what should I do? What do you think the cost would be to rewire brake lights wires to the fuse box?

A: Hi there. The brake lights don’t need to be...

Hi there. The brake lights don’t need to be rewired. We need to determine where the short or increased amperage draw is originating. When there is a short or excessive amperage draw, the fuse is the first line of defense to prevent the circuit from being literally cooked. This fault could be anywhere in the brake light system circuit. Tracing this down will require the electrical wiring diagram and a digital volt/ohm meter. Once the fuse is removed we can begin checking each section of the circuit for a short and repair as necessary. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and further damage to the circuit. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an brake lights are not working inspection.