Q: Q: Fuel pump replacement

I have a 32/36 Weber carb on my Toyota pickup. Electric inline fuel pump has has been going out a lot. I'll be driving and the truck will just stall. Then I disconnect the pump, let it run for a little to get the air out, then reconnect it and it works for a little while. There is a return line but it isn't hooked up. I was thinking about replacing it with an old school mechanical fuel pump and hooking up the return lines. Just don't know what pressure or gph to get. Do you think I should replace it or is there something else I could do?

Thanks, Kyle

Hello Kyle. It sounds like the electric pump is getting hot and malfunctioning. I would either replace it with the same pump or go back to the mechanical pump. I prefer the use the mechanical pump on this 1981 Toyota Pickup.

It may also be corrosion build up in the tank that can be clogging the pick up line. I would usually drop the fuel tank and check it out internally on a truck this old.

If you are thinking of having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your stalling issue and service your fuel pump as necessary.

3. Q: Fuel pump replacement