Q: Front end locked up

Hello yesterday as i was driving home i pulled into my apt and my tahoe front end locked up as if the brakes were catching but it was harder than the brakes. I gave it gas and it just slid so i put it in park and then reverse and it rolled back a little and i put it back into drive. While i started moving i noticed the car had a difficult time moving so i slowed down and it relesed and starting acting normal again. This moring it did the same thing but this time i heard a loud pop like metal on metal and it sounded like my 4 wheel drive disengaged. If this was the case why is my 4 wheel drive doing this and could it really lock up my front end that hard to keep my tires from turning. And how would i troubleshoot this issue.

A: A couple of different things could cause th...

A couple of different things could cause the front end to lock up like this, though it is a rare sort of problem to occur:

• the transfer case circuit has failed
  • driveshaft issue
  • ujoints
  • axles
  • locked-up brakes

The vehicle is not safe to drive until the problem is resolved. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic can diagnose this fault and perform any repairs required.