Q: Four-wheel drive thumping noise. 2006 Mazda B4000

I have some issues with the four-wheel drive. Each time I switch, I would drive a very short distance and there would be a loud thumping sound as if I hit something on the road. It seems as if there is some slipping out of the four-wheel drive and then slipping back in. This would keep happening as long as it is in the 4WD. What might be causing this?

Hello. It sounds like the transfer case is going bad causing the thumping noise you are hearing. The transfer case transfers power to the front wheels so that all four tires are working during four-wheel drive. If the transfer case is going bad, it may not allow the truck to go into four-wheel drive or it will go into four-wheel drive but cause noise or harsh driving conditions. There could also be a problem with either the front or rear driveshaft being worn out or broken. The transfer case and the drivetrain need to be checked for damage. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the noise and assist you with the appropriate repairs.