Q: After oxygen sensor replacement I'm getting a P1273 error. The engine starts up but won't stay on and stalls.

So my Sentra was working fine, but I received an error code to change the sensor 1 bank 1 oxygen sensor, which I did. Afterward, it would successfully turn on, but wouldn't stay on. However, it would stay on if I gave it a little bit of gas for a second or two. Also, when stopped at a stoplight the RPM would drop to about 500 and shake a little bit, but then correct itself to ~700.

According to autocodes.com I needed to perform the ECM Mixture Ratio Self-Learning clearing procedure found here: http://nissanhelp.com/diy/sentra/projects/nissan_sentra_clear_self_learning.php

I've done this procedure twice (including clearing the error codes afterward), but it still hasn't fixed the issue and the P1273 code returns. As I've mentioned, the car had no issues before the o2 sensor replacement, and I haven't done anything else to the car. Is there something else I need to reset/recalibrate? Other diagnostic tests I can run?

Thank you in advance.

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $171.84 - $740.29 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. For the code P1273 to show up on your Nissan, there is either an issue with the fuel system or the air intake control system. Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and see if there is at least 55 psi. If the fuel pressure is low, then there could be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator, a clogged fuel filter, or the fuel pump not running at full capacity. If there is good fuel pressure at all times, then check the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and see if it’s dirty. Also, check all of the clamps that connect to the MAF and the plumbing from the MAF to the throttle body. A leak in the intake plumbing will cause the P1273 code to come on as well. This is a symptom of the engine being too lean in the air to fuel mixture. So either there is not enough fuel or too much air. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.