Q: Flex Pipe to replace

asked by on February 27, 2017

Yesterday, I went to Meineke Car Repair shop and Car mechanic mentioned that i need to replace flex pipe. Do you know what's use of Flex Pipe and is it require to change it? How much it will cost? Do i need to replace with any other parts?

Please advise

In your application, the flex pipe is a 2 foot long exhaust pipe that connects the exhaust manifold on the car engine to the catalytic converter. The flexible segment on the "flex pipe" is just 6 inches in length and the purpose of that little segment is to accommodate the normal movement and vibration of the engine (hence, the name "flex"). Most of the pipe though is solid tubular steel. There are different flex pipes specified for the 1999 Accord, depending on whether your car is CA emissions or Federal and also manual versus automatic transmission, so you have to make sure the right pipe is installed. The pipe itself costs around $100 to $150 if you buy it over the counter.

Typically, the flex segment of the pipe will corrode over time and break creating an exhaust leak. If the pipe is leaking you have a dangerous situation because within the leaked gases is carbon monoxide. If the pipe is claimed to be leaking, ask to see the leak (trust but verify). Once you confirm the leak actually exists, replace the flex pipe (the entire 2 foot segment is one pre-manufactured assembly) immediately as leaking carbon monoxide is deadly.

If you desire that the flex pipe be examined, and replaced if necessary, by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request exhaust system component replacement - front flex pipe and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.