Q: Does my power steering pump need to be replaced?

My car's power steering reservoir was completely empty and I filled it with new fluid. It's been 4 days since I last filled the reservoir, however my car is still making a whining sound when I turn the steering wheel.

A: Your car may very well likely have a power ...

Your car may very well likely have a power steering leak somewhere in one of the lines. As you may know, the power steering system is a very highly pressurized system that works on hydraulic pressure (in some cases up to 300+psi) that can be prone to leaks as the hoses and fittings deteriorate. When this happens, you may notice excessive power steering fluid consumption resulting in the power steering pump making a whining noise. This is something that needs to be addressed very soon as the condition will only worsen and eventually damage your power steering pump. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your power steering pump.