Q: Flashing check engine light - 2007 Ford Edge

Engine light flashes and goes solid after about 5 minutes....car runs rough....slightly jerky...the engine cool gauge stays in the middle

When a Ford vehicle displays a flashing Check Engine Light on the dashboard, this is an indication that your engine has a misfire. I would first recommend having your vehicle scanned for trouble codes with an OBD-2 scanner. This will help to determine which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

The rough running and jerking are also symptoms that would be associated with a misfire. If one cylinder is misfiring it is possible that the ignition coil or spark plug for that cylinder is faulty. If multiple cylinders are misfiring, it is more likely that the spark plugs are about due for replacement. Spark plugs and ignition coils are not the only causes of misfires, just the most common. It is also possible to have a misfire due to fuel system issues with your vehicle. I would first start by checking for trouble codes and the codes that are stored will determine the correct diagnostic procedure to take. If you’d like help with this, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can inspect the Check Engine Light and pinpoint the correct fixes.

3. Flashing check engine light - 2007 Ford Edge