Q: Finally got the gas cap off and replaced it with a new one. Now it won't start.

Just bought the vehicle. 1999 suzuki grand vitara. Tried to take gas cap off to put gas in. No luck. Had someone finally get it off and replaced it with a new one. Now vehicle won't even start. Does this have anything to do with the gas cap?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a stuck vent valve or pinched line in your evaporative emissions system. This can cause problems with the fumes that are ventilated when ref-fueling your tank. As you fill it, large amounts of fumes accumulate that are routed to a charcoal canister where they are stored to be re-introduced later on into the fuel system. If this is not working properly, this can cause an error code to be registered when this happens. You may likely also have a check engine light on as a result of this. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

• Finally got the gas cap off and replaced it with a new one. Now it won't start.