Q: Faulty transfer case

I think the transfer case in my vehicle is faulty. The transmission shifts normally, but there is a noticeable bump when proceeding from a dead stop.

Transfer case fluid is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. I have some across this quite a few times on this truck. Most of the time, it is either a failing u-joint or it can be a transfer case slip joint that is binding. The drive shaft needs to be able to slide in and out of the transfer case when the suspension moves or when accelerating and decelerating. I would typically start by checking the u-joints for any free play and then checking for any binding in the movement of the drive shaft. If nothing turns up, I typically then drain the fluid from the transfer case and the rear differential and look for metal in the fluid. Either of these can also cause this bump. I would enlist the help of a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to inspect the fluid and replace any damaged parts.