Q: Engine won't even try to start but all the lights turn on and battery is fine.

asked by on November 08, 2016

Is it a spark plug problem if the Engine does not even try to turn over but all the lights are good. About once a week my truck won't start

Hey there. One of many components can cause a no crank condition. A bad ignition switch can be a cause. If the switch does not send a signal to the starter, nothing will happen when you turn the ignition to START. The fact that it happens once in a while leads me to believe it may be a starter issue.

There may be a "dead spot" in the electrical windings inside the starter. If the starter stops spinning on this "dead spot" after starting the vehicle, it may not start the next time you try to start it. If the starter is visible and easily accessible, grab a friend and a small hammer the next time it happens. While one of you holds the ignition in the START position, have the other lightly tap the starter with the hammer. If it starts right up, then the starter is at fault. If this does not work, have a certified technician look into the no start condition as any of numerous components can be at fault.