Q: Engine wants to bog out on idle

When I start it the rpms start at about 300rpms when I give it gas to get them back up it revs but wants to big out and when I let off it goes close to dying. About 5 of driving like that it goes back to normal running fine.

Hello. It sounds like you have an issue with your idle air control valve, weak fuel pressure, or carbon buildup blocking your throttle body. More than likely it is the idle air control valve. It is meant to regulate engine RPMs according to the driver’s demands. For example if you are stopping at a light the idle air control valves job is to make sure the engine idle ranges at about 700 RPM to keep the engine from cutting off. They’re in contact with a lot of gases and even coolant so they may get clogged up and be unable to do their job. I suggest that a technician inspect the your idle air control which should help you determine the cause of your idle fluctuation. You can find more information on your idle control valve here https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-check-an-idle-air-control-valve-by-jerel-lawrence

You are also able to find a technician and schedule an appointment for your vehicle by clicking this link https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/idle-control-valve-replacement