Q: Engine turns off when the first gear is shifted

asked by on June 13, 2016

My car has gone around 100,000 miles and has an automatic transmission. The issues with the steptronic gearbox have started recently. The other day, when I started it up and tried to put it in first gear, the engine turned off all of a sudden. This has been an issue in the last several days. When it happens, I have to try to start it up again and put into first gear. What could be causing this? Thanks.

Hello. The most common cause of the car dying once it is put into gear is the transmission torque converter or the fluid level of the transmission. If there are leaks present from the transmission, I would suspect the fluid level to be very low. If you want to have this checked and verified for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic will have little trouble diagnosing your shifting issue and making the correct repairs.