Q: Engine ticking, lifters keep getting worn

The issue with my car started about ten months ago, when I noticed the ticking noise coming from the engine area. I took it to a mechanic who replaced the lifter. That fixed the noise for a while. However, since then, the lifters on my car keep getting worn. I've changed them several times already. What can I do to fix this permanently?

Hello. The lifters that get worn is from a lack of lubrication. Have your engine checked for any sludge build up, and if so, make sure you are using the correct oil viscosity and you may want to use full synthetic oil. Make sure the part of the lifter that is wearing is not riding a damaged part like a cam lobe can be damaged and will ruin any lifter you put in until the camshaft is replaced.