Q: Engine temperature

Hi, my audi is a 2.0 liter turbo diesel 2013 year model. on a highway engine temperature usually go up to normal 90C and stays there, but as soon as I start driving in the town or when I stop, it falls to 50-75C . Is this a thermostat related problem or more like sth else? just bought a car so not sure when it started doing so but I see this is not normal as well as MPG isn't. Thank you.

Hi there. In most cases, the engine’s operating temperature will decrease during normal city driving as this is usually when the thermostat opens and allows the radiator to circulate coolant through the motor and to be cooled by the fans. On many newer Audi’s and other foreign vehicles, the thermostat will open slightly during highway driving to increase fuel economy (as the running radiator and fan cause more strain on the engine and thus will reduce fuel efficiency). I’d say that the issue you brought up is normal and you should be OK to continue driving your Audi. If you notice that the temperature starts to climb above that 90 C temperature range consistently, contact one of our professional mechanics to complete an engine is overheating inspection.

3. Engine temperature