Q: Engine temp goes down when I stop or turn the heat on. 2013 Dodge Avenger

asked by on February 09, 2017

Slow to heat up and when I stop or slow down the engine temp will drop as well. I have heat in the cabin fine. Idles around 900rpm sometimes. Maybe coolant temp sensor? Or thermostat? I can't see anything being plugged.

Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $639.09 Get a Quote

Hi there - the symptoms you describe indicate a thermostat that is not properly keeping engine temperature at the correct operating level. The thermostat should restrict flow as necessary (stopping or running the heater) to keep the engine at operating temperature (approx. 205 degrees Farenheit). I recommend a thermostat replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.