Q: Engine sputtering when I start my car

asked by on February 11, 2016

My Check Engine light is on. The engine sputters when I start it and sometimes it requires numerous attempts to get the car started. It has gradually been getting worse.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The first thing you will need to do is have the codes pulled from the computer to see what issues it has detected. Your vehicle has a complex control system and in most cases it will know what is wrong before a mechanic can open the hood. In this case it sounds like a fuel issue. This could involve a delivery issue (fuel pump, injectors) or a mixture issue (mass air flow, O2). Without knowing the codes it is hard to determine exactly what is going on. Find a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your Check Engine Light and determine what is causing your engine to sputter.