Q: Engine sputtering when I start my car

My Check Engine light is on. The engine sputters when I start it and sometimes it requires numerous attempts to get the car started. It has gradually been getting worse.

The first thing you will need to do is have the codes pulled from the computer to see what issues it has detected. Your vehicle has a complex control system and in most cases it will know what is wrong before a mechanic can open the hood. In this case it sounds like a fuel issue. This could involve a delivery issue (fuel pump, injectors) or a mixture issue (mass air flow, O2). Without knowing the codes it is hard to determine exactly what is going on. Find a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your Check Engine Light and determine what is causing your engine to sputter.

3. Engine sputtering when I start my car