Q: Engine sounds like it is only running on 3 cylinders.

asked by on December 18, 2015

My car has started running rough all of a sudden. I put some gas dryer through it, but after two weeks have not noticed a change. I also put some carb cleaner in the gas and still no change after two weeks. The engine sounds like it is running on only three cylinders.

The coils or spark plugs are misfiring on your car and this is pretty common for this engine. Have a technician inspect why your engine is misfiring. He will have to scan for codes on the misfiring cylinder and pull the coil from the cylinder and swap with a known good coil or swap two cylinder coils to see if the problem moves with the coil or stays in the same cylinder. If it moves then the coil was at fault. If it does not move then the spark plug is at fault. I recommend replacing all spark plugs and coils as a set.