Q: Engine shutters on start up.

I have a 2006 Toyota Hilux 3.0L Turbo Diesel which had new injectors about 12 months ago. Just recently when I first start the engine in the morning it sound shuttery and its a bit shaky? After its been running for about 4-5 minutes its OK again. Its never missed a service and always runs well until this recent problem? Its done 208,000 kilometers. Whats wrong with it?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.

3. Engine shutters on start up.