Q: Engine overheats to limit

Car will over heat after 5 to 10 miles. I release the pressure from radiator and I'm good for another 5 miles. Notice that the heater will blow cold air and as the indicator guage goes to max it blows hot air. Car has stopped running when this is going on at stop signs. Could this be thermostat

The first thing to check why the engine is overheating is to make sure the cooling system is full. Then have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic pressure test the entire cooling system to see if there are any leaks in the cooling system. If no leaks are found then the thermostat is the most common first step to have replaced. Once it is replaced the system will need to be retested for overheating since the engine may have been damaged from the engine being overheated in the past. This will also check cooling system performance.

3. Engine overheats to limit