Q: Engine overheats

My car overheats, I keep the heater at its hottest to lure dine of the heat from the engine. My coolant is at its fullest. I checked it the other day after driving and it was actually overfilled. I checked it again before driving it and it almost went back to the full line. What could the problem be and how much do you think it will cost. Thanks!

A: There are several possible problems that ca...

There are several possible problems that can cause your car to overheat. It could have a failed water pump, which would cause it to not circulate coolant through the radiator, allowing it to overheat. You could have a thermostat that is stuck closed, which would not allow coolant to ever reach the thermostat, thereby never letting it cool down. It could also have an obstruction in the system disrupting the proper flow of coolant through the system. The best solution would be to have the cause of overheating properly diagnosed by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. At that point they will be able to provide you with an estimate to repair the car.