Q: engine noise after starting

When I first start my Montero Sport in the morning it makes a continual cranking noise when the engine is running and after it runs for a few mintues. When the noise stops the engine continues to run smoothly all day. It has been doing this for a few months. Do you have any ideas what the probelm is?

This may be an indication that the starter drive is not disengaging from the flywheel after the engine starts. The danger in this is that the starter drive may fly apart and damage the flywheel or engine aside from destroying the starter.

The starter motor should be removed and inspected for issues in the drive assembly and gear. Never attempt to remove a starter with the battery disconnected or serious injury could occur. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and experience to diagnose the noise and replace the starter for you.

3. engine noise after starting