Q: Engine making whining noise

The front of the engine is making a whining noise, which could be the water pump or alternator. Also sounds like a power steering pump going out.

Hi there. The most common cause of this on your engine is the water pump. It can be a number of other things also. I typically remove the belt and run the engine to verify that the noise goes away. If it continues then it is not coming from one of the accessory pulleys. At that point it may be coming from the timing chain due to an internal engine problem. If it goes away with the belt removed, then I would spin each pulley by hand to see if I can identify where the noise is coming from. If you did not plan on doing this yourself, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise coming from your engine and recommend the correct repair.

3. Engine making whining noise