Q: Engine makes metal-to-metal noise on a 2012 Ford Taurus SEL 3.5

I have a 2012 Ford Taurus SEL 3.5 and it make s a lot of engine noise when it's cold. It sounds like metal to metal. Anything to help?

A: If you are talking about engine noise, that...

If you are talking about engine noise, that means that the engine is on its way out. That generally means that the bearings on the crank are worn and that the pistons are making the clunking around. Because, instead of being smooth, there is a little space that is bouncing back and forth and clunking.

You can try putting like 3 or 4 bottles of STP thick treatment in it and that might quiet it down some. But, unfortunately, you are going to have to get another engine or another vehicle when they start making noise like that. Rebuilding modern engines has gotten so expensive these days that most people don't do it. They put in a used engine or give up and get another vehicle. Before throwing in the towel, I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the metal noise and determine if there are any repairs that can be done to get this car safely back on the road.