Q: Engine light on

My engine light has been on for just under one week and for the past 1 and a half days my gas meter arrow has stayed in the same spot even though I have been driving my car and clearly using gas. This is the first time that I have had this problem. Obviously my car is old so I understand that issues may come up but I have no knowledge of cars. Is there anyway to know what this may be? Everything else is working fine.

Your check engine light may come on for many different reasons such as a faulty mass air flow sensor, a faulty O2 sensor, a bad catalytic converter, bad spark plugs or wires and many other reasons. Unfortunately due to the wide range of possibilities for the check engine light to come on, the best way to narrow down the scope of what may be causing this is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanning tool to download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the computer. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your check engine light to come on.

3. Engine light on