Q: Problems with keyless start

My Nissan Altima has keyless starting. There have been two times when I tried to start the car, but it randomly wouldn't start. Here's what I tried when it happened, without success: I pushed the starter button, and it goes from lock, to acc, to start, but it never starts. The engine and starter do not kick. When I have the shop check it out, they claim there are no error codes produced, and were unsuccessful in replicating the problem. Please advise if you have any idea what the problem might be.

A: With problems that are intermittent, it can...

With problems that are intermittent, it can be tricky to diagnose them. There is a common issue with these cars though, which is a failed brake light switch. This is the switch that indicates when you have applied the brake pedal, and the vehicle needs to see a signal that the brakes are applied before it will start. It may not set a fault because it just doesn’t see the brake pedal is being pushed. Next time it happens to you, try pumping the brake pedal. If it starts after you do this, then it would be safe to assume this was the cause of your no start situation. If this is the case then you can have a qualified professional technician, such as one available through YourMechanic, replace the switch for you. If the brake light switch isn’t the cause, they would be glad to figure out the no start problem for you.