Q: Engine knocking, oil light on, engine quit

While driving, the engine started knocking and then the oil light appeared on and then the engine just Quit! I checked the oil and saw that it was low, so I put some in. But the car won’t start at all. What is the problem and what should I do to fix it?

If you ran the engine out of oil until the engine quit or locked up, then you tried to add oil after the damage was already done. The engine bearings will need oil to work properly, and when you ran them without oil they seized and spun on the crank and cam shafts. This means you destroyed the engine and may need to replace or overhaul the engine to fix the problem.

3. Engine knocking, oil light on, engine quit