Q: Engine has trouble starting

My car randomly stalls out, so I keep it idling at red lights, etc. I took it to my mechanic, but naturally it didn't stall for him. Now the car jumps when I shift down to first. What is the problem and can it be fixed?

The stalling would have to be felt, since these vehicles have issues with the torque convertor lock up still engaging when stoping, causing the engine to stall. Then the engine starts and runs fine. If this is not the case for you, then only a computer check will leave a code and by performing a test you may find that the idle air control valve is sticking closed intermittently and will not control the idle. If you are getting no codes through a computer check, then have the idle air control valve cleaned and see if this makes a difference. If it continues then replace the valve. I’d recommend having a certified mechanic check out the vehicle, they will be able to accurately diagnose and fix your stalling problem.

3. Engine has trouble starting